[Bf-committers] Soundsystem mess

Kester Maddock Christopher.Maddock.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Wed Dec 29 12:05:12 CET 2004

Yep, that's what happens when you use well defined interfaces.

It sounds like you are trying to modify an interface, which means you end up
changing everything that uses/implements that interface.

Another option is to use:
	SetParam(enum Param, float value)
instead of
	SetParam1(value)

But I thought that was why you were rewriting the sound system. ;-)

Kester

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 08:03, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> Sorry, but I just can't be kept from writing this mail!
>
> Dude, did anyone ever look at the SoundSystem and the Game engine? This
> must be the most terrible "code maze" I've ever seen. There are like
> 10 levels of wrappers calling each other in circles, it's a big mess.
>
> I'm now spending 1.5 HOURS in order to add 2 simple parameters to
> a sound object.
>
> I have to declare these new parameters, the Set/Get functions, and
> the various wrappers in, like, 10 header files and 10 source files.
>
> Is this normal for C++, or is this just a very bad example? :)
>
> For fun, try executing the following command in the root source dir:
>
> egrep -rIi "etRolloff|m_rolloff" *
>
> That's all places you need to change to add a SINGLE parameter
> to a sound!
>
> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

Moebius always does it on the same side.