[Bf-committers] Game Engine Audio status

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Wed Dec 29 00:32:55 CET 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Patrick Mullen wrote:

> Yes please include support for at least mp3's (The old sound engine
> did support them, although it was very picky on format).  It would be
> nice to have midi/mod sound as well, you can do a lot of nice sounding
> music with those and take less space.

The library I used directly supports mp3 and also modules (via mikmod)
and synthesizing general midi files (via old GUS patches).

Though I would personally say that any serious music will probably be
in MP3/OGG format (which it both supports)...

Though the MP3/OGG support would look like this: It would read the MP3/OGG,
convert it to raw PCM, and then put it into memory... So you could save
on filesize (runtime executable), but in memory, the MP3 will use as
much space as if it were a WAV.

No big problem with today's memory sizes probably though...

Did the former (current) game engine decode in realtime or when