[Bf-committers] Game engine and samples

Kester Maddock Christopher.Maddock.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Tue Dec 28 03:24:09 CET 2004

Hi Alexander,

It looks like they are from stuff that was happening before the open source.
Maybe some NaNites can tell us.  They seem to be based on what AL exports for
a sound.

All the sound engine really has to do is go boing at the right time. :-)

I don't think sound attenuation is a function of it's volume.  Here is what I
would do:

Volume/Gain: The loudness of the sound.
Distance: Affects how far a sound carries.
Pitch: Fine.  You're going to have to do DSP to do arbitary pitch shifts.
Doppler can also tie into this.
Loop points: Good for eg: engine start up ... engine sound ... engine stop
Flags: Looping, 3D

Kester

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 13:25, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> Hi Kester,
>
> thanks for the reply. On the whole, I've found a lot of parameters of
> a SoundObject that are appearently not even editable by the user anywhere.
> Very odd.
>
> For example, where do I, the user, set things like m_rollofffactor,
> m_referencedistance, m_mingain, m_maxgain? I see no sliders for this...
>
> In the end, while I'm already digging into all this, it would be nice
> to know what the sound engine is actually *supposed* to do :)
>
> For me, sensible parameters for a sound are:
>
> Volume: This would be the power of the sound source. The higher it is,
>          the slower it attenuates with distance.
>
>          What is the meaning of the current "Volume" slider? Is it this,
>          or does it actually mean "Gain" (next point)?
>
> Gain:   Maybe! Just an additional absolute scaling factor the sample
>          is multiplied by.
>
> Pitch:  That's already there as a slider, and seems to be meant in
>          semitones. Fine.
>
> Surround Scaling: This is already there, but I'm not sure what is meant.
> To me, it would make sense if it were the factor by which viewer
> orientation relative to the sound source can pan the sound left/right (or
> behind, if we get more esotheric and do stereo phase inversion). If set
> to 1.0, it fully pans. If to 0.0, the sound doesn't pan at all. This is
> useful for doing (especially stereo, ambient) sounds coming from
> everywhere.
>
> I think the whole audio system needs a rethink, so why not start now.
>
> Any other opinions?
>
> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

new management