[Bf-committers] Game engine audio recode

Kester Maddock Christopher.Maddock.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Tue Dec 28 01:22:25 CET 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 03:13, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Robert Wenzlaff wrote:
> Well, one could go totally crazy and also take into account the number of
> faces a ray from the listener to the emitter passes through, and then
> low-pass- filter the sample... etc... the possibilities are endless ;-)
> actually, I would consider that much more important than Doppler, but I
> don't think OpenAL implements something like that.
A3d used to do this a couple of years ago, and I think some of the high end
Creative cards do this. ;-)

> Well anyway, I'm having a HUGE bunch of trouble understanding this C++
> game engine with no C++ experience. I hope I'll be able to do anything.
Well, you get to put C++ on your CV now. ;-)

> The whole SoundObject/SoundListener/SoundActuator stuff is terribly
> convoluted, you can believe me I would rather like to rm -rf everything
> and start over, but as I don't understand C++, I'll first try to just
> implement a new device type (SDL) and use the existing 10-fold wrapper
> system. :/
SoundObject is a playing sound, SoundListener holds listener properties (ie
the sound equivalent to a camera) and SoundActuator contains the game
properties (ie controls when to trigger.)

I know C++ pretty well, at least the features used by Blender so if you have
any questions post them here.

> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

Kester

--
HOST SYSTEM RESPONDING, PROBABLY UP...