[Bf-committers] Re: Bugtracker lost me again....

Meino Christian Cramer Meino.Cramer at gmx.de
Sun Dec 26 17:16:58 CET 2004

From: GSR - FR <famrom at infernal-iceberg.com>
Subject: [Bf-committers] Re: Bugtracker lost me again....
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:57:14 +0100

> Meino.Cramer at gmx.de (2004-12-26 at 0739.19 +0100):
> >    Assumption:
> >    Size() describes the radius in case of a sphere-object.
>
> Size in the panel describes the scaling of the object. You can have
> any object with size 1, 1, 1 and any apparent size. Or the inverse,
> multiple objects that look the same, but have different sizes in the
> panel. Try scaling inside edit mode and outside, and check when the
> Size values changes. Also try subsurf (best way to get ultra round
> spheres from a icosphere), and enjoy the manual positioning (with
> plain spheres you can scale by 0.7 and get an acceptable solution).

  Yes, yes and yes.

  I know. how it _does_ work, GSR. That's why I am posting.
  My idea was, that it would be more intuitive to handle, if it
  _would_ work _differently (that was the reason for my post).
  I wanted to be _changed_.

> That is how Blender has always worked, object blocks have one "size"
> and mesh/nurbs/etc blocks other, and they combine for the final
> result.

  Also agreed. It works the way I dont like since hundred of years.
  Time for a change.

> The simplest solution I can think of is changing the labels to
> say Scale, cos changing the system internally means having to cope
> with all the old files and adapt them to whatever system it would be
> used then.

  This would give the behaviour only a different name.
  This is like calling an error a feature just to make it not an error...

  And if the code become too old to be changed...than it is...just too old.

  Sorry, it does not convince me.

  "How long is that ladder, Pa?"

			   "It is one meter, my son!"

  "...and how long is the other ladder, Pa?"

			   "It is also a meter long, my son...why do you ask?"

  "...but Pa....they are of difference length....???!"

			   "Yes, I know....it was that way, since the beginning of
			   time, my son...and it is because the one is made from
			   wood, and the other is made from aluminum!"

  The son wents away....his head shaking....

> GSR

  Meino