[Bf-committers] Experiences with the engine and sound on linux

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Dec 24 01:29:05 CET 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Ryan Showalter wrote:

> I'm not putting OpenAL down.  It is a good lib to use with gaming
> programs (I believe the Linux Unreal 2003/2004 games use it).
> However, I do agree that it has little documentation and choosing SDL
> (SDL_sound?) might be a better idea.

Yes. I will try to convert the game engine audio to SDL.

Also, I like to have total control over what I do, and do everything myself.

With OpenAL, you have the library doing everything for you.

With SDL, I will *just* use the bare audio output code that takes a single
buffer and outputs it to the DACs. All the rest (mixing, panning, etc.)
I'll happily do myself and I'll *know* it works :)