[Bf-committers] Re: motion capture blender

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Dec 22 15:23:35 CET 2004

Hi,

Mocap support is of course cool! :)
In reality however, not many of our users/developers will be able to
test or purchase such systems. What would be a viable approach however
is;

1) make sure Blender can read (standard?) mocap files from current
systems. I've had offers for free mocap dbases in the past, still
something we could look into. I also bet there's quite some free
downloads for it.

2) direct mocap display in Blender could best be supported via a python
wrapper. The Blender python API (c code) for it can be very general,
and designed to be fast too. This also solves legal issues, since GPL
restricts linking to non-GPL libraries/software.

Approach 2 would probably require to design a special mocap python
module in Blender. Which could have part of the functionality of the
provided c code. Would also help if someone can assist on that work who
has knowledge how to support multiple mocap systems.

-Ton-