[Bf-committers] Re: parallaxmap error

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sat Dec 18 00:16:55 CET 2004

I wanted to try the patch, but it looks like, your server is having
issues, Martin :/

On 18 Dec 2004, at 8:28 AM, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, car wrote:
>> coming from my understanding without code knowledge is that it makes
>> the textured mesh look like it's mesh was displaced with a texture
>> for every fine detail and crack on it and even changes it's shadows
>> against the lighting on
>
> No, it definitely doesn't produce shadows.

Actually, while this is not parallax mapping, there are ways of faking
self-shadowing with bump maps (not that I know how), with a technique
called horizon mapping. Here are some links:
http://www.balmelli.net/download/eg01.pdf
http://research.microsoft.com/~ppsloan/bs.pdf
http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&ID=38

> Am Freitag, 17. Dezember 2004 21:51 schrieb Chris Burt:
>> Also, your comments about normal maps being like bump mapping don't
>> seem
>> to be accurate from my tests... They look totally different.
>
> Haven't yet tested the CVS and normal maps, but in *theory* normal
> maps and
> bump maps should lead to equivalent results...

I don't know the theory, but at least in *practice* they're very
different ;) I presume a lot it is to do with how the map is generated
- normal maps aren't something you easily paint by hand.

Cheers,

Matt