[Bf-committers] New Booleans & Smooth Meshes (maybe I need math help, maybe a shading glitch)

Ted Schundler tschundler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 19:50:12 CET 2004

Ton:
The first reply you got to this is incompletely and accidentally sent
just to you.

Sorry, I just realized I should have prepared a .blend too after I
posted, but was headed for bed. Here you go:
http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/oss/blender/boolean/bool_curves2.blend
There's a text file open in there explaining what's what. The tests
are separated into different layers.

As for coding a C/C++ version, that is the plan. But for now I'm doing
testing in Python since it's a lot easier to test out ideas. (no
recompiling and such) Once that's working to my satisfaction, I'll
move to C/C++.

Dan:
You are right that AutoSmooth is extremely important when it comes to
objects that mix smooth and flat faces. Such as if the cut off part of
the sohere was filled with flat faces. But here the back side that you
don't see is empty, so the mesh ends where it is cut. Then
autosmoothing makes no difference.

Ted