[Bf-committers] copyright and suzanne

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Wed Dec 15 14:40:22 CET 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 07:27, Tom M wrote:
> This is a useful explanation from the music world,
>
> [QUOTE] There is no simple rule concerning how much of a work may be
> taken before it rises to the level of infringement. Obviously, the
> more a work is copied, the easier it is to show substantial
> similarity. Ultimately the test for infringement turns on the issue of
> quality, rather than quantity. For instance, in determining whether
> one song infringes on another, it is common for courts to look to
> whether the "heart" of the song was taken.[/QUOTE]

I don't think a music analogy applies.  No matter how much work you add when
you are done it's still music.

With Blender you start with software, and end with an image.  No part of the
software ends up in the image.

If I weld some sculpture together, does Lincoln Arc Welders patenta apply to
my art?
               "I drank what?????"
Robert Wenzlaff        rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com