[Bf-committers] copyright and suzanne

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:27:13 CET 2004

[QUOTE] Which brings me back to my questions: When is it decided that
something becomes content? What if someone remodelled Suzanne by hand?
Deformed her to no end? If you keep only one ear, is it still GPLed?
Only one edge-loop?[/QUOTE]

This is a useful explanation from the music world,

[QUOTE] There is no simple rule concerning how much of a work may be
taken before it rises to the level of infringement. Obviously, the
more a work is copied, the easier it is to show substantial
similarity. Ultimately the test for infringement turns on the issue of
quality, rather than quantity. For instance, in determining whether
one song infringes on another, it is common for courts to look to
whether the "heart" of the song was taken.[/QUOTE]

http://www.alankorn.com/articles/copyright_infringe.html

As noted there is no clear standard as to what constitutes and what
does not constitute infringement.  A typical interpretation would
probably disallow the 'remodelled by hand', might allow the 'deformed
to no end', and would almost certainly allow the one ear or one edge
loop.

Since Ton as represenative of the copyright holder (the Blender
Foundation) has made a public statement combined with the artist FAQ,
there shouldn't be any remaining issue.

LetterRip