[Bf-committers] copyright and suzanne

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 05:30:18 CET 2004

Tom,

> [QUOTE]Why limit it to Suzanne? What about the
> images using
> simple cubes, planes, the default material, a
> default
> texture, ... ?[/QUOTE]
>
> Because they aren't unique enough expression to be
> subject to copyright.

Right, that was just me being sarcastic. You never
know though, some wacko lawer might decide that the
Magic texture is unique enough...

> While suzanne is in some respects
> an 'output' she is also
> content in and of itself.

How is the line drawn between what is content and what
isn't?
What if the artist deformed suzanne, when is it
decided that it is no longer content?

Another example: MakeHuman (also GPL). Does that mean
that any work using MakeHuman would fall under the
GPL?

No offense, but this just sounds overly complicated
for nothing.

> Similarly while the
> Blender Logo, and blender
> startup screen are 'outputs' of the Blender program,
> this does not mean that
> endusers can make any usage of them that they
> desire.

That was quite clear to me since any output would be
straight copies from the code.

Martin