[Bf-committers] copyright and suzanne

D.J. Capelis djcapelisp at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 03:45:59 CET 2004

If suzanne is a primative, then she's not
copyrightable. ;)

In actuality, I don't think it's an issue.
Blender can copyright the code to create the
points making up Suzanne, but I think how the
artist uses Suzanne is completely a seperate
issue.

After all, I mean, there's no issues with star
output or any of the other things, there should
be for Suzanne.

But then again, I could be wrong.

--- Tom Musgrove <tommusgrove__ at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> What is the copyright status of Suzanne?  It
> would appear to be under the
> GPL, unless we have given an explicit
> exception.
>
> If it is under the GPL, then at this time, most
> renderings and blends, etc.
> that include suzanne would technically be
> derived works, and thus
> technically would be GPL violations if they
> were not also distributed under
> the GPL.
>
> It seems unlikely that that is our intent, thus
> I suggest we provide a
> specific exception in the license for
> renderings, etc. that include suzanne.
>   I realize this seems a rather minor point,
> but I think it is necessary for
> license clarity.
>
> LetterRip

=====
~D.J. Capelis~
Network Security and Cryptography Researcher.
Lead Developer of FOML:  http://foml.inodetech.com