[Bf-committers] Revamped material system for 2.37?

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Sat Dec 11 03:54:37 CET 2004

Hi.  One thing I've been wondering is if whether or not Blender's
shading system will be revamped during the next development cycle.

I'm currently developing an "example" (meant only to generate ideas)
implementation of a more flexible shading system (with Python support)
and I'd like to know when would be a good time to start up a discussing
on this topic.

Also, I hacked in a normal diffuse shader that let's you save normal
maps.  I made it so diffuse shaders can return a three-part RGB
intensity array, rather then just a single-float value (which means that
the normal-map function only modifies the current diffuse color).

This is actually going to be in the example shader implementation, I'm
exploring how well Blender's current shading philosophy would actually
work in a custom-shading environment, but with that one modification
(diffuse and specular functions both return RGB intensity values).

joeedh