[Bf-committers] Renderman Exporter

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Thu Dec 9 19:08:28 CET 2004

At 10:13 AM 12/9/04, you wrote:
>There's no official project on this topic yet. The Aqsis team however
>has expressed interest to work on it, especially if we can find a good
>way how to re-use current export for yafray.

Is the Yafray language general enough that it could be used as an
intermediate code for a generalized export lib?

My idea is to change "yafray export" to "generalized export" and you select
a .so/.dll that takes the intermediate language in and translates it to
whatever renderer the .dll/.so was written for.  Then ideally the .so/.dll
would provide an image back to Blender for preview.

It's kinda' backwards, though.  To me it seems that rib would be the almost
ideal intermediate language, as many renderers would not need an extra step
and could deal with the rib info directly.

Robert Wenzlaff