[Bf-committers] Back Buffer Issues

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:36:58 CET 2004

> > 3- On the Nvidia "allow flipping" subject, the Nivida-Settings
> >control panel is nowhere to be found in my system, but I haven't yet
> >updated to the very last version of the drivers (I'm on Suse, so the
> >uptating is a little bit harder for me because I can't use the driver
> >file straight from Nvida).? If that setting is changeable by software,
> >I would suggest you to take a look into /proc/driver/nvidia? since
> >traditionally, all settings that can be changed on the fly are
> >accesible from there, so Blender could *in teory* hack into into that
> >directory at startup and see how the flipping is set ut and addapt
> >itself to the circunstances... actually, if that setting is on the
> >/proc system, nothing stops Blender from changing that setting by
> >itself (maybe after a pop-up asking the user for his/her authorization
> >to change it).

Just a side note, the "hack" is not a good idea.  #1 hopefully most
users are not running blender as root so it will not be able to make
the modifications.  I also think its a bad idea to modify a persons
system for them.  I could see a warning message in the console popping up
if it thought things should be "fixed" but thats as far as I would go.

Kent