[Bf-committers] About FAQs, no one in specific.

Juan Julio Peña Mena jjulio.pena at verizon.net.do
Tue Dec 7 17:56:29 CET 2004

I was wondering.. could be take the PostgreSQL approach to FAQs  ?

They ship all their FAQs, operating system related or otherwise, into
all the PostgreSQL distributions, so that the whole picture is available
to all users.  Perhaps one particullar FAQ is not applicable to all
users, like the CIGYWIN FAQ is not really applicable to linux users, but
it is a good reading material to all the users just because the general
nokwlege included.

Not to mention that if later along the road, if you are having certain
problem with the software, and that problem is described on the faq
written for another operative system, you at least got a clue on where
to start looking for causes and solutions on your own operating system.

Right now, the Blender Linux FAQ is only shipped with the Linux
distribuition, I guess that the OSX FAQ is shipped with the OSX
distribution.. and to my surprize, the Windows FAQ is not been shipped
with any distribution. The "General Questions FAQ" isn't been
distributed neither.

Adding all the FAQS will add very little weight to the distribuition
files (they are plain text files after all), but I think it would be a
great add-on to the users, specially when you are doing a CD based
install and you don't have internet access around.

Also, if all the faqs where to be included in all the distributions,
then they could be added to the CVS tree and the coordination issues
with the faqs would be pretty much solved, all it would take is giving
the faqs maintainerw writting access to their specific Faqs or to the
faqs directory.

Just my 2 cents.
Apollux.