[Bf-committers] Since you are already refactoring the UI: Auto-hiding the buttons window.

Douglas Toltzman doug at oakstreetsoftware.com
Mon Dec 6 22:22:20 CET 2004

Beware of things like "caps lock".  I'm afraid that it will show as a
shift modifier on every keypress, at least on some systems, and it may
require keyboard polling to determine whether it is on, or not.  You can't
rely on a keypress event, because, if it were generated, it may not be
sent to Blender, if blender doesn't have the focus at the time.  One might
hit capslock in another app, then switch to Blender and unlock it, which
might result in Blender seeing the keypress as a toggle to lock, if it
gets a notification at all. Although I haven't run tests, I foresee some
confusing code and lots of inconsistent behavior and unwanted side
effects.

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Alexander Ewering wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, john tuffen wrote:
>
> > ... Tell you what, how about using (something like) Caps Lock for this? You
> > usually get a nice visual indicator (the caps-lock LED) that can encapsulate
> > the visibility-state of the buttons.
>

> Hey, you discovered an unused key in Blender! That deserves a gold medal :-)
>
> No, seriously, I think the Caps/Num/Scrolllock keys can be put to good use.
>
> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

 * Douglas Toltzman
 * President/CEO, Oak Street Software, Inc.
 * doug at oakstreetsoftware.com
 * http://www.oakstreetsoftware.com/