[Bf-committers] Re: Ok, please someone tell me. . .why!!!

GSR - FR famrom at infernal-iceberg.com
Mon Dec 6 16:49:52 CET 2004

joeeagar at prodigy.net (2004-12-05 at 2307.06 -0800):
> > LR_SHIFTKEY is set to 3 because it will trigger both for L_SHIFTKEY
> > and R_SHIFTKEY. Very simple.
>
> Yes.  So WHY IS THERE NOT 1 BIT FOR SHIFTKEY!  L_SHIFTKEY is never
> triggered without R_SHIFTKEY.

It looks that the system was designed to support one or both keys at
the same time, knowing which exact key was pressed and also provide a
check for both so you can write code that does bit ops with a sorter
LR_SHIFTKEY instead of longer (L_SHIFTKEY|R_SHIFTKEY). Another issue
is if they have been defined that way, 1 2 and 3 or 1 2 and (1|2).

In some keyboards, Alt keys are different. In games, users could like
having different meaning for Shift or any key that is "repeated".
Imagine playing pinball, each side Control or Shift triggers one
flipper. So please do not try to simplify without thinking there can
be reasons to have multiple things.

GSR