[Bf-committers] Very old game engine issue with Quad lamps

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sat Dec 4 05:50:42 CET 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Kester Maddock wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> The lighting has changed since 2.25 (I assume this is for bug #1957 ?):
>
> 1. 2.25 game engine does not handle quadratic attenuation.
> 2. Neither does the 3d view.  (Except in 'fastshade' mode which is lit in
> software)
> 3. The renderer's attenuation function is incompatible with OpenGL's
> attenuation function. (Or I forgot to carry a 1 somewhere...)
> 4. 2.25 did not do specular lighting correctly.  (Per vertex specular lighting
> is ugly if the mesh is not tesselated enough.)

Hi Kester,

I just removed the comment signs from the place you mentioned in drawview.c,
and hooray - the lighting is correct in the 3d view now.

You mentioned that "per vertex specular lighting is ugly if the mesh is not
tesselated enough" - yes, I perfectly agree. However, unless I'm missing something,
specular lighting is still only done per-vertex.

Make a Plane, make a light, same layer, set plane to "Light", add a Material,
rotate the 3d view around - the specularity only distributes among the two triangles,
unless i heavily subdivide the plane.