[Bf-committers] Back Buffer Issues

Matthew H. Plough mplough at Princeton.EDU
Thu Dec 2 19:25:12 CET 2004

Hi all!!

I was playing around with my video card's OpenGL settings this morning,
and found an interesting clue on what's causing the odd corruption shown
in http://www.princeton.edu/~mplough/tmp/buttons_error.png .

First things first: I have a 3Dlabs Wildcat Realizm 200.

Second things second ;) : Like most cards, my card has two options for
dealing with double buffering -- page flipping (which only exchanges the
front and back buffer pointers) and Force Swap Copy (which maintains a
dedicated back buffer and a dedicated display buffer).  When a buffer
swap happens in forced mode, data from the back buffer is *copied* into
the display buffer, but is not cleared.  My best interpretation of
Blender's code leads me to believe that it depends on this preservation
of back buffer data.

Is this in fact the case?  If so, how can we fix this?

Matt