[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/include BDR_editcurve.h interface.h blender/source/blender/src buttons_editing.c editcurve.c editobject.c interface.c interface_draw.c interface_panel.c resources.c space.c usiblender.c

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Tue Aug 31 19:22:43 CEST 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Daniel Fairhead wrote:

>> Then, it would be nice looking into extending the save/load stuff to
>> be able to work with memory rather than a disk file. So, in effect, modify
>> the low-level functions that do the file i/o (fopen, fwrite, etc.) and
>> let them use memory instead of disk files.
>
> This is the point where someone suggests that this is actually NOT something
> blender should do, but something the OS should do, with some kind of RAMdisk
> or something. Whereapon the project will immediately adhere to that policy
> with a rigid fanaticism which causes religious wars, fire, death and destruction,
> but is alright, because ALL serious coders use linux/unix, and so can do ramdisks
> in their sleep, and would do that anyway, even if the functions were built into
> blender. This being the Obvious And Good(tm) Thing To Do.
>  - Ch. 2. Verses 11 to 14. - Book of Prof (Blender, ic.)

Sorry if I was misunderstood:

Firstly, of course I agree with everything you said here (whether it's
ironically meant or not), and secondly, of course I didn't mean to modify
the low-level OS functions themselves, but BLENDER's low-level functions
(which USE calls like fwrite/fread) to use memory instead.