[Bf-committers] Cinepaint & high definition color support

Douglas Bischoff bischofftep at mac.com
Mon Aug 23 16:07:14 CEST 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 06:37, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> However, as a first step I can code an option that retains the (hi
> def) render buffer Blender already uses. This is 4x16 bits for normal
> render, and 4x32 for unified. This then can not only be used for
> gamma/brightness/contrast adjusting, but also exported using the
> CinePaint lib.

The immediate benefit here is then that we would have access to the
full range of color subtleties created by the rendering engine?

One thing to make this really useful is to make sure it interfaces
properly with PREMUL and alpha-channel images (i.e. make it really
useful with 3rd party composition software so overlays, including
anti-aliasing, ray transparency, opacity, and Halo materials will show
properly).

> Reading back such files, and use it for textures we can then can still
> postpone, until we find the solution for how to integrate this in the
> current image/texture code in Blender.

Fair enough: using high definition color specs for image textures will
be a nice addition, but the ability to get at Blender's internal
high-def bits for use in post-production compositing will be useful
right away.

Thanks, Ton!

----
Doug Bischoff