[Bf-committers] IRC Meeting Minutes, 15 Aug, 2004

David Bourguignon david-m.bourguignon at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 23 13:29:01 CEST 2004

Hi Ton,

Thanks for your message! Concerning the integration into Blender, I'm still
a complete newbie wrt Blender code, but I would say that softbodies modeled
using a discreet approach could fit well as a special case of particle
systems, which I think are already well supported in Blender. Of course,
there is also the question of the relationship between surface (clothes) and
volume (blobs) physical models.

Recently, Stephane Soppera provided a link to a GPLed cloth simulation
plugin for 3dsmax: http://www.chaosgroup.com/software/simcloth3/
It seems that this model is inspired by classical cloth simulation papers
(by Baraff, Volino, etc.). However, in the animation gallery, there is an
(apparently) volumetric animation of a blob falling on a table. I'm very
curious about the underlying model. Did the author achieve this only with a
surface model? Unfortunately he didn't fill in the "theory" section of the
plugin's web page... Contacting him may prevent us from browsing the raw
code... :-)

Finally, I think I'll manage to compile a demo this week concerning the
discreet volumetric model I mentionned in my previous post.

Cheers,

David.

N.B.: I only received today the Bf-committers digest, Vol 1 #891, where
most of the posts date back from last Thursday. Is this normal?

--
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/david-m.bourguignon/