[Bf-committers] Cinepaint & high definition color support

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Aug 20 12:37:15 CEST 2004

Hi all,

At the Siggraph Blender BOF we also had a discussion with the
maintainer of CinePaint (formerly filmgimp). He mentioned that he was
developing a generic library to work with arbitrary depth color buffers:

http://cinepaint.bigasterisk.com/ImgImgArchitecture

Having Blender reading/writing high definition color buffers is a long
wanted feature, but it has some implications... especially with all
Blender internals and the Imbuf library being defaulted (hardcoded) to
4x8 bits.

However, as a first step I can code an option that retains the (hi def)
render buffer Blender already uses. This is 4x16 bits for normal
render, and 4x32 for unified. This then can not only be used for
gamma/brightness/contrast adjusting, but also exported using the
CinePaint lib.

Reading back such files, and use it for textures we can then can still
postpone, until we find the solution for how to integrate this in the
current image/texture code in Blender.

A) would that satisfy?
B) who's interested in looking into this ImgImg lib and hook it up?

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org