[Bf-committers] Re: Layer Manager

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Thu Aug 19 04:11:42 CEST 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Matthew H. Plough wrote:

> Alexander Ewering wrote:
>
>> I suppose by "Selectable" you mean "Objects in the layer are
>> selectable". Well, I have heard this suggestion often before,
>> and I agree it is a potential improvement, and not too hard to
>> implement. But I still fail to see the _real_ use of it.
>> Probably a funboard discussion.
>
> I don't think so.  It is very useful if you have a background layer, and then
> a layer with a character moving around in it.  That way you can't select your
> background or static props, facilitating faster editing of what is actually
> moving in the scene.  This is a more versatile version of the Freeze feature
> in 3d studio minimum (yes, I have a personal vendetta against that program).

Hehe. Yes, I agree most 3d packages apart from Blender suck.

Well, I see the point... this can currently be achieved in Blender by moving
objects to a different scene and using that as a background scene...

But I agree that as a layer option, it would be easier to access. Well.
On the other hand, the interface to moving objects between scenes could be
improved, too.