[Bf-committers] Feature Proposal

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:31:44 -0700 (PDT)

> There are a couple of original design concepts in Blender I still
> consider useful and very much worth sticking to. One of these ideas
> is
> to make 3d editing available without bothering with decisions what
> the
> X or Y or Z axis is.
> The feature you describe is being dropped by other software (slowly)
> too. Only CAD programs keep sticking to it.

What design concepts are those, may I ask?  Why is not thinking about
the axes better than the opposite?

I have neither the background nor the desire to argue precepts.
However, I disagree with the notion that the separation of axes
shouldn't be bothered with.  If that were really the case, then why
would the axis constraints have been added to all movement and rotation
within the editor?  And as far as the CAD example goes, aren't some
users using Blender for CAD visualization?  Hasn't there been
discussion on the list for more accurate measurements for just such
projects?  Also, I wouldn't say that movement constrained to axes is
falling to the wayside; look at rotations in Maya, for example--
there's a whole widget drawn in so that such movements are made easier,
and let me say it's a boon when working with bones.

I think that something which some users would find useful, especially a
hack like this which would be easily accomplished by someone familiar
with the Blender codebase, should at least be an option.

- Cloud