[Bf-committers] Layer Manager

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:12:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Matthew H. Plough wrote:

> Alexander Ewering wrote:
>
>> I've recently developped a Layer Manager in instinctive-blender-2 and
>> wondered if there is any interest / thoughts in it.
>
> My thoughts: COMMIT IT NOW. :D

Oh, I'll better wait for our Guru first ;)

>> Any thoughts on it appreciated.
>
> Can I still use my alt key combinations for layers?  For instance, if I want
> to move an object from Layer 1 to Layer 11, can I still do M...Alt+1 ?  I'm
> sure you've covered this, but it was not clear in the document.  The names

Yes, all old conventions are still in place. I would never change a single
UI element which is crucial to everyday workflow. For that reason, I have been
a bit troubled with the new mirror functions (no S-X S-Y anymore). So I don't
do that myself.

(Theeth: no offense! I just like sticking to UI conventions especially with
functions such important)

> Also, can there be more than 20 layers with your naming system?  If so, we
> are going to need to come up with a way to allow *very fast* keyboard entry

No, that's pretty much impossible. It would be trivial to extend the number
of layers to 30 (maybe 31), but that's it. The layers are stored as a mask
in an int, which is 32 bits. Hard limit :)