[Bf-committers] Some questions/suggestions for "motion toolkit" and "iksolver"...

Herman Bruyninckx bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:52:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> We don't have an active maintainer or 'owner' for the math modules you
> describe below. Since you seem to understand all of it well, this could be a
> nice job for you and your team. :)

Being "maintainer" is asking too much :-) But we are looking into the
matter. I must confess that it's not at all easy to come up with an
alternative that suits all needs...

> All of the issues below I think you should just be able to implement or work
> on, of course being aware it's important that old functionality remains
> working... the moto lib is being used heavily in the game engine for example.
I would not change anything to the existing code; only add a few things
here and there.

> About matrices; Blender uses an ordering that gives easy float pointer access
> to the vector component of the 4x4 matrix; this is a convention being used in
> OpenGL too. I always forget if that's called row or collumn major. :)
> When Solid/Moto was added I recall the developer used the other ordering for
> matrices. Also python APIs haven't been checked on consistancy yet.
Ok, we noticed that :-)

Good to hear that there is no real objection against us trying to
improve things. But, of course, before we really _do_ something, I will
come back to this list and ask feedback on the ideas, in order not to
break anything, and in order to be as good a "Blender citizen" as we can
be :-)

Herman
--
   K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics Research Group
<http://people.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 322480