[Bf-committers] this error is in an initialization-kludge for added objects (Re: game engine / python controller: get actuator by name, broken in 2.34? (Kester Maddock))

Toni Alatalo bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:59:59 +0300 (EEST)

to not let wrong information leave uncorrected here, a quick update:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> only when adding what i've called 'clones', the error occurs. the
> mechanism for these clones is a bit peculiar (and i don't remember it
> wholly), so i'll dig it more now. perhaps it's best to resort to some
> other forum (private mails, irc, some forum, whatever) while solving this

i isolated this (later on that Tuesday) to be in that initialization
indeed, and made a minimal test case that demonstrates it (with usage
instructions) in http://www.kyperjokki.fi/tools/inittest.blend
(so this has nothing to do with the original suspect, getting actuators by
name, there was just a bit misleading error message / wrong interpretation)

posted about that to Kester privately, don't know if he has had the
possibility to look into it, but it does not matter that much either. the
thing is, that with the new added features of the game engine, that kind
of kludges are not needed anymore, as (i suppose) you can get the
information about the objects existing in the project etc. using the Scene
module. i certainly want to refactor my system to do that as soon as have
the time.

if unifixed, though, this does break compatibility with 2.25 (and even
2.32). also, that trick is presented on Elysiun so it might be in use in
several places currently (though it might be that something in my version
of it is the problem, even though that minimal test case does not leave
much room for that). then again, this has absolutely no effect on the
common (easy) usage of game engine, like games that use just logic bricks
etc., so that most old things do work on 2.34 despite this.

> > > Kester
> > ~Toni
> again.

still