[Bf-committers] Fix: Using Yafray for background rendering

Wouter van Heyst bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:06:30 +0200

<snip>

> The general attitude that I have when modifying complex code prompted me to
> that conclusion: Whenever I change something, I must expect that I break 10
> other things, so I better don't change things :)
>
> Life is easier that way!

True, but I prefer understanding of the complex code.

> In this special case, calling BIF_* functions from background often gave
> segfaults to me (for example, BIF_read_file instead of BKE_read_file), that
> was another reason.

Ah.

> >>background, and I just added a commandline option -D /path/to/renderd/
> >>to supply it. Better anyway, this way every rendering machine can have
> >>a different path to the renderd dir, and you don't have to store strange
> >>~/.B.blends on them.
> >
> >Adding a forest of commandline options doesn't look like the way to go,
> >and we already have .B.blend to store information. Need to find a
> >balance, but loading preferences seems good to me.
>
> A forest? Did you look at things like man cdrecord or man convert? THAT'S
> a forest :)

But those are _small_ tools! :)

> Well, what's the purpose of background rendering? Is there any other besides
> doing distributed rendering? If no, I would consider it much more practical
> to specify a simple commandline option instead of copying .B.blends around
> my network.

Background rendering is a misnomer, it's just backgrounding, no need to
render. So yes, more purposes (like batch python scripts)

Wouter