[Bf-committers] Fix: Using Yafray for background rendering

Wouter van Heyst bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:35:59 +0200

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 12:19:38PM +0200, Alexander Ewering wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Wouter van Heyst wrote:
>
> >Ton, do you agree reading the preferences makes sense while
> >backgrounded? As far as I can see there are no dangerous side effects,
> >but someone who knows the code better should comment.
>
> I'm not Ton, but I had similar worries when I saw the patch.
>
> I ran into the same problem with my renderdaemon support in instinctive.
>
> I needed the userprefs for supplying the common renderd NFS directory to
> the daemons.
>
> Ultimately, I felt it was too unsafe to just call BIF_read_homefile from

Was this a gut feeling, or did anything prompt you to that conclusion?

> background, and I just added a commandline option -D /path/to/renderd/
> to supply it. Better anyway, this way every rendering machine can have
> a different path to the renderd dir, and you don't have to store strange
> ~/.B.blends on them.

Adding a forest of commandline options doesn't look like the way to go,
and we already have .B.blend to store information. Need to find a
balance, but loading preferences seems good to me.

Wouter