[Bf-committers] Fix: Using Yafray for background rendering

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:19:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Wouter van Heyst wrote:

> Ton, do you agree reading the preferences makes sense while
> backgrounded? As far as I can see there are no dangerous side effects,
> but someone who knows the code better should comment.

I'm not Ton, but I had similar worries when I saw the patch.

I ran into the same problem with my renderdaemon support in instinctive.

I needed the userprefs for supplying the common renderd NFS directory to
the daemons.

Ultimately, I felt it was too unsafe to just call BIF_read_homefile from
background, and I just added a commandline option -D /path/to/renderd/
to supply it. Better anyway, this way every rendering machine can have
a different path to the renderd dir, and you don't have to store strange
~/.B.blends on them.