[Bf-committers] Fwd: Linux Installer for Blender

alex mole bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:17:51 +0100

Hello

Gregor Mückl wrote:
> http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
>
> Wether building an installer is "mere aggregation" or  "combining two modules"
> is the key to this issue. According to this text the latter is actually the
> case and - this clearly stated there - this will put your installer under the
> GPL. Remember that you already agreed to that implicitely by supporing its
> use for blender.

It's not actually clear from the text which is the case (if either is).
The important text is:

"Combining two modules means connecting them together so that they form
a single larger program."

which probably isn't the case here- while both parts are combined into a
single file, they don't constitute a single program. There is no
contribution from Blender in the .bin file [except as data].

It's an interesting point though, and one that I'm really interested to
know the outcome of :)

Cheers,
Alex

BTW, I thought the installer looked really nice, but I'd echo the
questions about its worth in this case, when there are already debs and
rpms available in distros.