[Bf-committers] Fwd: Linux Installer for Blender

Gregor Mückl bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:52:33 +0200

Hi!

Sorry for this second post. I overlooked your other responses.

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 21:04, Daniel Lopez wrote:
> Hi Gregor,
>
> > Unless they allow you to distribute the installer builder itself with the
> > blender sources you might be in violation of the GPL as outsiders are
> > then unable to rebuild blender in the form they obtained it. In the worst
> > case the company which builds the installer might find itself forced to
> > release that installer under the GPL because they allowed you to use that
> > software for a GPL project and thus might be considered a part of that.
> > I'm not 100% sure, though. Better talk to the FSF about it before taking
> > any further actions.
> >
> > Otherwise I'd say it's wise to settle with rpm, deb and tarball packages.
> > When the rpm and deb packages are done correctly it'll be much easier for
> > the users to handle that than a custom installer. AFAIK you can specify
> > indivdual libs as deps for an rpm file and thus build
> > distribution-agnostic rpms that work because rpm doesn't check it's
> > database but the file system to determine if these libs actually exist.
>
> Not so easy, trust me on this, we have the scars to prove it :)  The
> problem is when the libraries have different versions or different names or
> the places to install the configuration files are different among
> distributions. I have not looked in-depth on Blender, so I do not know how
> much this applies, but I have found it to be true for any medium complexity
> program.
>
> In any case, I am not arguing for replacing RPM or DEB or even the
> tarballs. Just offer all of them for download and listen for the user
> feedback on how to improve each. You do not even have to learn to use our
> tool, we will happy to build the installers and handle the user feedback.

See my previous email. Building the installer yourself is an even more direct
commitment to the GPL. Be very careful about what you say and do! I mean this
for your own good because you want to keep selling a product, I suppose.

Regards,
Gregor