[Bf-committers] Fwd: Linux Installer for Blender

Gregor Mückl bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:33:53 +0200

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 21:04, Daniel Lopez wrote:
> Hi Gregor,
>
> The installer does not get affected by the GPL. There are plenty of GPL
> software out there being distributed using installshield or installanywhere
> or many other commercial installers. Ours just happens to work on Linux and
> be pretty :)

Well, I'd not be that sure if I were you. Even with this above statement you
have gone further than any of the other companies you name in that you
explicitely support the use of your installer for blender. I am not aware
that any other installer manufacturer has done so publicly. This is one piece
of the puzzle. The other one in the GPL FAQ:

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

Wether building an installer is "mere aggregation" or  "combining two modules"
is the key to this issue. According to this text the latter is actually the
case and - this clearly stated there - this will put your installer under the
GPL. Remember that you already agreed to that implicitely by supporing its
use for blender.

Regards,
Gregor