[Bf-committers] Fwd: Linux Installer for Blender

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:09:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Jiri=AD Hnidek wrote:

> Hi,
> it's nice, but that's all. It breaks philosophy of distribution of linux=
=20
> apps. I would rather offer rpm or deb package.

I agree with Jiri. Sadly, the 'How to install Blender' problem
has still not been tackled or solved after the numerous discussions
I can remember from IRC :)

As always, I repeat: Blender should have a usual "make install"
rule.

But who cares about standards ;) See recent examples (Openoffice.org,
MainActor/Linux) to see installers which break standards, each looking
and working different than all the others, delivering their own
widget drawing toolkits (which is bad) and requiring a substantial
amount of user interaction and investigation to install the package,
instead of the usual "make install".