[Bf-committers] GUI menu locked in window

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:02:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, trip wrote:

> Simple idea. What is it that locks a menu group in a window? The N key
> transform menu seem to be a different menu style than the toolbar
> menus. But an IPO window has the same window type as the N key to. But
> you can not move the menu to the 3d view.
>
> So, the idea is:
>
> Make all menus into the close-able kind then remove the window lock.
> Problem: closing a window would make the window go away. Answer: it
> would just snap back to the home of where it normally lives.
>
> Use: This would give the power to make custom windows with all of the
> menus that you need.
> 	It would give the power of having only the 3d view open with all of
> the menu's that you want. And it would make the interface more up to
> date looking with it's transparency.

That power is exactly what I hate about pretty much any interface apart
from Blender (2.2)'s. In applications other than Blender, I (and probably
most others, though they don't notice) spend most of my time resizing,
moving and focussing windows.

And some words about the "up-to-date-looking"-story: I installed KDE 3.2.2
recently, and the first things I did were:

 1) Disable AA fonts
 2) Disable panel transparency
 3) Disable menu transparency
 4) Disable gradients in the menu backgrounds

I want a usable, efficient working environment where I spend the least
time possible with pattern recognition due to cluttered interface
looks. I noticed most people
don't want this anymore (or at least they are convinced by clever
marketing departments), but I think the transition to the 2.3x interface
already made it ermmm, "up to date" enough for my taste ;)

Just ignore me