[Bf-committers] Code optimisation

Douglas Bischoff bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:21:11 -0400

On Apr 22, 2004, at 17:57, Kenneth Styrberg wrote:

> Hi, I did some optimisation in interface_draw.c. I havn't tested how
> much it improves performance, at least the code looks  a tiny winy bit
> cleaner. Maybe all compilers do this optimisation at compile time?

Hmmmm... this one sounds like a potential candidate for vector
optimization.

Any time there's a series of equations which all operate the same but
on different input variables you can create a vector equation. Modern
chips have vector acceleration routines which make this stuff much
faster. I'm no expert (heh) and couldn't find anywhere to really START
looking for this kind of thing, but if someone were serious about it
they'd probably find some references on the web about vector
computations and how it might be applied to, say, the rendering engine.

Just a though,

-Bish