[Bf-committers] Integration of scripts in the UI

Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:18:52 +0200

Hi,

Here a general analysis! After reading the comments here...

We could define a sort-of table, where we can put the 'script
classifications' and 'UI context' together. For example, as Matt
mentioned; the import/export options belong in the main 'File' menu. A
Mesh-intersection script (or so) somewhere else. You have to wait a
little while for us to complete the UI redesign topic.

For classifying the scripts your proposal could be a bit fine-tuned
though. What about this:

1- Menu scripts
   - these scripts are visible as a pulldown menu item
   - text or additional info in the pulldown can be read from the script
   - after invoking the script, it optionally brings up a 2nd (nested)
pulldown, or a popup-menu.

2. SpaceScript scripts
   - only visible as (pulldown) options in a SpaceScript header
   - when you load a script in a TextWindow, and execute it, it turns
into a SpaceScript window
   - in a SpaceScript window you can also load new scripts, and assign
them to the default list ("install" them)

3. GUI scripts
I also like Matts suggestion to integrate it well in our new 'buttons
window'. It should be equally flexible as a new buttons window itself,
and integrate nicely with it. For a redesign I am still doing research,
also to *really* find a method to expand Blender as other programs do
with plug-ins. Check this again:

http://www.primitiveitch.com/ppfx/docs/systemsettings.htm
It's not my intention to actually copy this, but look at the structure
itself... also for python scripts we need to provide sufficient
facilities to design complex tools. Just a single 'buttons panel' might
not be sufficient.

4. ScriptLinks
For example, for a script that deforms Meshes over a period of time,
you need:
   - a pulldown menu somewhere to assign it
   - a method to release it, and/or view an interface for it (context
menu?)
   - future: it could draw additional 3D info/widgets

-Ton-