[Bf-funboard] Re: [Bf-committers] Integration of scripts in the UI

Jonathan Bartlett bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:51:56 -0700 (PDT)

> Following the Gimp's approach of putting everything in a top-level 'scripts'
> menu is not so good. The menu items should be organised by their
> functionality -

Interestingly, there is no technical reason in GIMP that scripts are in
their own dir.  I often write scripts that I put everywhere in the GIMP
menu tre.

If you want to follow GIMPs conventions (which is a good idea, IMHO), each
script should be executed on startup, and have a function available to
register menu items.  Most of the execution will j ust be loading
functions into memory.

This isn't compatible with the way that scripts are currently set up, but
I think it's a wiser choice in the long run.  Perhaps you could also have
an "oldscripts" directory which runs scripts the old way.

Jon