[Bf-committers] Re: Re: Integration of scripts in the UI

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:06:44 +0200

johnnyb@eskimo.com (2003-09-03 at 1251.56 -0700):
> > Following the Gimp's approach of putting everything in a top-level 'scripts'
> > menu is not so good. The menu items should be organised by their
> > functionality -
> Interestingly, there is no technical reason in GIMP that scripts are in
> their own dir.  I often write scripts that I put everywhere in the GIMP
> menu tre.

Script-fu menu exists as a legacy thing, and only until scripts can
behave better (preview, unified progress bar, unable to destroy undo
system, etc), and some users ignore this non writen rule. Perl scripts
already register where they need, what is more, they are stored in the
plugins dir, not the scripts dir (scripts dir is for Scheme ones
only).

> If you want to follow GIMPs conventions (which is a good idea, IMHO), each
> script should be executed on startup, and have a function available to
> register menu items.  Most of the execution will j ust be loading
> functions into memory.

GIMP has another thing that makes it good: check something (like
timestamp) to avoid waste of CPU. So the only slow load is the first
or when something changes.

GSR