[Bf-committers] Patch to fix aliasing problems.

Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:04:16 +0200

Hi Nathan,

>  That's great, so long as it stays optional.  If, eventually, the
> sequence
> plugin system gives access to full floating-point color data, the
> greater-than-1.0 ranges would be very useful for post processing
> effects such
> as physically correct glow (or "bloom") effects, and DOF bokeh effects.

Making Roberts code optional (or worse: a user option) won't solve the
problem for correct 'glow' effects. This is more related to the limited
4-channel color model we use. The 4th component (alpha) can't be used
for overflows; check for example the antialiasing and alpha errors for
Halos in Blender.

I am not sure yet how to solve this problem, but my intuition says we
have to add a 5th channel for this, the "Mult" or "Add" layer or so.
This to separate antialias info (=alpha) from brightness effects.

I've not really been searching for it, but never saw good articles
about more advanced color models, to overcome shortcomings of RGBA
buffers, especially for (integrated) compositing needs.
Is this an area we can do actual research in, or is there already a
good reference for it?

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org