[Bf-committers] Re: Subsurf buttons

Robert Wenzlaff bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:31:52 -0400

On Saturday 25 October 2003 15:17, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> ton (Ton Roosendaal) 2003/10/25 21:17:24 CEST

>   - fixed crash with ALT+C conversion of subsurf to mesh with subdiv level
> 0 - also changed the limits in the subdiv levels buttons; ranging now 1-6
> (note: '6' gives 16k new faces per old face... and max was 12!)

6  is probably a good limit.   With 768M of mem, I can't even do 12 on a
single face plae.

I honestly think 4 and above should have a warning pop-up.

Is there a quick way to esimate the memory required to sub-divide and post a
warning based on that?  Too many times have I accidently dragged across that
slider and had my machine un-usable for many minutes (or had to do a `killall
blender`, be cause it would be hours), since there is no way to back out of
this while in progress.
--
Robert Wenzlaff   rwenzlaff@soylent-green.com