[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] ....(knife tool)

Robert Wenzlaff bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:07:13 -0400

On Monday 13 October 2003 09:14 pm, Matt Ebb wrote:
> On this topic, I also agree with theeth's suggestion on the tuhopuu-devel
> list or making RMB cancel rather than confirm, to try and keep some sort of
> consistent behaviour. To be really consistent, brush select could be made
> to work that way too (enter to confirm, RMB to cancel) though that idea may
> not be all that popular.

That I'll agree with.  The tool sat in tuhopuu for a month and a half, and I
got exactly 1 comment on RMB.  It went the wrong way....

> I've been using the knife very extensively in tuhopuu (and I love it! :)
> and I don't think I've ever used the '50%' option. Unless anyone else has
> good reasons for keeping it, I'd say get rid of it - it makes the tool more
> streamlined, simple and fast without the extra choices (which must get made
> with every cut..grr).

This again comes down to the point that it's difficult to draw accurately with
the mouse, and the original intent of the tool (which was to selectivly add
geometry to a mesh).  It escentially gives a "loop cut", but the loop can be
defined arbitrarily as opposed to Goofster's loop algorithm.  One click (or
one extra enter, since Pupmenu remembers last choice), to possibly avoid
having to move dozens of verts.

I agree that "50%" is less useful now that MMB and polyline are working than
it was,  but I don't know if it's less useful enough to drop.
Robert Wenzlaff   rwenzlaff@soylent-green.com