[Bf-committers] Pupmenu conventions. (Was: CVScommit:blender/source/blender/src edit.c)

Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:30:41 +0200

Hi Robert,

If you like proposals to be accepted, it's important to read carefully
what people write, digest that information, and propose something that
fits better. Giving opinions confuses... and makes the threads hard to
read.
I don't have much time for mail these days, so I also made the error of
too quickly scanning mails, probably irritating you as well. :)

What I expect from you:
- be more clear in text. Include pieces of old threads, so people can
still follow what's being discussed.
- swallow opinions, and move on to design proposals

What I should do:
- trying to summarize discussions, and find good a wording for
functionality we all can be happy with.

Let's go back to the beginning:
Here is the first reaction to you proposal from Alexander:

--------------
I completely agree with this approach - additionally,
it could be used to keep the best from both worlds.
Simply keep the old "number"-shortcut functional _AND_
add a usual hotkey for them. So the new options would
just get a hotkey - and the old functions would react
to TWO keys - EITHER their new (logical for new users)
hotkey OR their old (for old users used to it) number
key.
--------------

This is something everyone can live with, including me! You add new
functionality, a real improvement, wich can live next to the old
convention.

Important is to realize that 'hotchars' then are *not* allowed to be a
number. The new 'hotchar' is added functionality, and doesn't have to
mess with old conventions at all. SHIFT+S-4 will remain the 4th item.

Here's what your 'recapping' could look like:

----------- technical design proposal ---------

1) Pupmenu definitions will get an optional hotkey to activate this.
This will be called a 'hotchar', which only resides within the context
of the menu itself.

2) The hotchars are not allowed to be a number, to achieve
compatibility with the previous system, and to communicate to a user
there's an additional method for choosing a menu item.

3) If a hotchar is available in a Pupmenu, it will be an additional
choice for a user, the old convention to use number hotkeys will remain
unchanged.

3) In the code we will usa a "%k" to indicate a hotchar, a menu string
would look something like:

"SPECIALS %t|Subdivide %kS %x1|Smooth Subdivide %ko %x2|Fractal
Subdivide %kF %x3|Knife Subdivide %kK %x11|Merge %kM %x4...."

The pupmenu drawing code will underline the character in the previous
word. The code will accept keyboard input as if it's all in lower case.

(note: I changed your syntax, now it remains readable & consistant)

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org