[Bf-committers] 8192 image size overflow

Kester Maddock bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 01:34:12 +1200

I'm not loading it into hardware!  I'm just in the renderer.  It uses
more than 222MB of memory - there is a bump, spec + colour map at that
size.  And mipmaps.  According to top, I use ~ 1.1GB at peak.  I have a
lot of swap turned on. :)  Running under Valgrind uses about 3x normal
memory, so I had 8GB of swap for that.

It looks like Blender doesn't do hardware texture mapping (except UV,
which I'm not using) it samples the material colour per vertex, which is
a lot cheaper.

OK, so lets see what happens if we UV map it!! ;)

Blender loaded it.  It took ~42 seconds to go from wireframe to Alt-Z,
but it got there.  After that, I easily have enough framerate to change
my view.

System:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
1GB DDR