[Bf-committers] OpenGL database

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:11:59 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Pol wrote:

> Hi;
>
> Maybe you should check it out and report bugs/comment/improvements.
> Alot of things needs to be done and I'm aware of it.
>
> Just a preview: http://moi.homeip.net/~pol/gfxdatabase/
>
> now I go sleeping.
>
> byebye all
>
>  -pol-
>
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:07:02 +0100
> Ton Roosendaal <ton@blender.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Our good friend Pol will build a php/mysql system for users to submit
> >
> > reports on their gfx system. It will be based at filling in
> > information  as also has been provided on the 'news and chat' forum.
> > But in a  database such info gets much more interesting. We can even
> > make a top  10 of best and worst performing 3d cards!
> >
> > Data provided:
> >
> > - OS version
> > - GFX card manufacturor, chipset/type
> > - Driver version
> > - a rating ("runs perfect" -> "immediate crash")
> > - comments
> >
> > For the first category we like to make a fixed dropdown menu. The
> > others can be filled in by the user themselves, but choices that have
> >
> > been added already will be made available with a dropdown as well.
> >
> > Windows: XP, ME, 2000, 98, 95  (we skip NT)
> > OSX: 10.1, 10.2, 10.3,  plus a CPU dropdown: G3, G4, G5
> > Linux: based at kernel: 2.2.x, 2.4.x etc

you forgot to put 'linux' before the kernel versions, like you
put IRIX, windows, and OSX.

> > For Sun, Irix, FreeBSD... can people give hints? Any comments?

for each platform you need to provide consistant method for obtaining
the 'driver' version. for instance the 'glxinfo' command can be used
on some platforms.

for irix, the 'driver' is different for many different gfx hardware that
may run on the same architecture. for instance the SGI indigo2 has several
different gfx architectures. the 'driver' is revisioned with the base
OS release (or patch level).

the 'rating' is not real specific enough, maybe the comment helps.

as it is i really didn't find it helpful, as I have a linux 2.4.x machine
with an nvidia geforce quadro with driver revision close to many mentioned
but my cursor misbehaves terribly. there is no way to tell that in advance
from the database. i could blame the platform, heh.