[Bf-committers] Good news: Tatsuya's plugins

Douglas Bischoff bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:49:05 -0500

On Nov 18, 2003, at 1:26 PM, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:

> Tatsuya contacted me -- he compiled both of his plugins, Flock and
> Cloth,
> for Linux and windows:

Cloth compiled and tested for OS X successfully. :-) Couldn't get
Flock, I'm not as good with C++.

> After more people test (I tested both with a recent cvs Blender under
> linux), it would be great to have a news article at www.blender.org
> about
> them.

Very cool! Here is a movie of the result:
http://www.ceridwenproductions.com/Files/ClothSim.mov

There are some odd artifacts in there, not sure why. The normals all
appear to be correct, though perhaps they do flip-flop some during the
sim. A function to recalc norms outside after each frame change might
help?

> -------
> Note: the files come with sample .blend files.  These include scripts
> to run
> the plugins, but they have hard-coded search paths.  So either put the
> compiled plugins (.so under linux) at the dir where you start Blender
> or
> modify the sys.path line in the scripts to search in the proper place,
> case
> you choose another dir.  Simply deleting the sys.path lines and
> putting the
> plugins in one of the default searched dirs should also work.

It does: that's what I had to do.

Quite interesting! I wonder what would be involved in making the cloth
sim work with any selected object(s)? It didn't like it when I tried to
have the sim also take into account contact with the "floor."

-Bischofftep