[Bf-committers] (no subject)

Kiernan Holland bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:38:44 -0700

> I know that most coders are currently busy with other work and do not want
> to touch Blender's mesh data structure until perhaps version 3, but I
> believe that beginning work on revamping Blender's meshes as soon as
> possible would be better in the long run. A lot of the code is a huge
mess,
> and it seems that many hacks have been added on top of quick hacks. The
> only way to continue developing mesh tools without a data structure update
> is to continue hacking, and doing so will only make the code more
difficult
> to understand. The cleaner code that I seek to provide would make life
> easier for developers, and allow newcomers to spend less time learning the
> quirks and begin contributing code much sooner.

It might be better to have parallel projects going and have some
conditional that determines
the kind of mesh used, so that development of better data structures can
begin at once without
compromising the utility of the current style of meshes. If mesh structures
and subtituted
some desired functionality that the users are familiar with might be lost,
it would
be better to phase the old out once the new is fully worked.

Of course this decision would have to pass through Ton and the others, I'm
not a coder..
Just familiar with how things can easily get screwed up from perpetual
hacking, which
although it solves problems temporarily, produces less manageable code down
the road
causing more headaches for everyone.

riseofthethorax@earthlink.net
http://www.bl3nder.com/